We as Environment Consultants guide our clients for obtaining Environment Clearance, CRZ Clearance, Consent to Establish, Consent to Operate and many more compliances which are essential for establishing any industrial or Residential/Commercial unit. It is a big challenge for an entrepreneur to establish a new manufacturing business. Setting up a new Industry requires many approvals from Government Authorities. One of the major requirements is to obtain Consent from the State Pollution Control Board.

The new units are under compulsion to obtain consent under the Water Act, of 1974 and Air Act, of 1981 even before starting subsequent production.

In case the unit is covered under Hazardous and Other Wastes (Management & Transboundary Movement) Rules, 2016, E-Waste (Management) Rules, 2016, Plastic Waste Management Rules, 2016 and Bio-Medical Waste Management Rules, 2016, it shall simultaneously apply for the grant of consent under Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974, Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.

Types Of Consent

Under the provisions of the Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974 and the Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981, “any industry, operation or process or an extension and addition thereto, which is likely to discharge sewerage or trade effluent into the environment or likely to emit any air pollution into the atmosphere will have to obtain the Consent”

There are two types of the Consent i.e. Consent to Establish (CTE), and Consent to Operate (CTO).

  1. Consent to Establish: This consent is required to be obtained before establishing any Industry, Plant, or Process. The Consent to Establish is the primary clearance.
  2. Consent to Operate: Once the Industry, Plant, or Process being established according to mandatory pollution control systems, the units are required to obtain consent to operate.


All the industrial sectors/projects have been categorized under Red, Orange, Green and White categories based upon their pollution potential and range of pollution index for the purpose of consent management under Water (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1974, Air (Prevention & Control of Pollution) Act, 1981.

The process for obtaining consent to establish and to operate involves making an application to the respective State Pollution Control Board along with required documents and scrutiny fees using the online portal of the State pollution control Board (Online consent management).

It’s followed by physical scrutiny of the location and assessment of the environmental management system planned to meet with the mandatory requirement prescribed by the State Pollution Control Board.


While every state has its specific requirement, the following set of documents are usually required across every state for seeking consent under Water Act, 1974 and Air Act, 1981

Documents required for Consent to Establish:

Documents required for Consent to Operate:


The industrial units/projects covered under the white Category are exempted from Consent Management for obtaining CTE and CTO under Water Act, 1974 and Air Act, 1981 and any other units not covered under the Red, Orange and Green category.


Industries operating without Consent are liable to pay the penalty as per latest circular issued for Provision of Penal Fees for occupiers violating Consent regime prescribed under Air/Water Act vide letter No. BO/MPCB/AS(T)/Circular/B-220712FTS0047 Dated 12/07/2022.


* Calculations of number of years shall be calculated on the basis of number of days of non-compliance.

For detailed information contact us at 1800 210 2102 or submit the enquiry

Name of Client
E-mail Address
Phone No.
Your Message